What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Preventing it from happening is the most important step. Completing correct safety precautions will lower your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in Wheeling.

Here are several steps you can take to keep your family safe:

  • Heat up your car away from your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so do not leave yours on in the restricted space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t use ovens or grills as heaters. These things are safe when operated right but can make carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in little spaces.
  • Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, as it produces fumes.
  • Have your chimney examined by a professional. This makes sure chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected properly.
  • Check gas appliances are working correctly, including your furnace. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe comfort by requesting yearly furnace maintenance with Comfort Masters Service Experts.