Every year over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Comfort Masters Service Experts is here with some tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, at least three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that turns off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating system is to ensure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your heating tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Comfort Masters Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 847-250-6729 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.