Each year over 20,000 people end up in the emergency room as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep you safe, Comfort Masters Service Experts is here with some tips to safety warm your home.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and replace the batteries yearly.
- Keep all likely sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Power off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Never use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The ultimate thing you can do for your furnace is to ensure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Comfort Masters Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 847-250-6729 today and ask how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.