When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At Comfort Masters Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outdoors, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Comfort Masters Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Wheeling, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Wheeling or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 847-250-6729 or schedule an appointment with Comfort Masters Service Experts through our online scheduler.