Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s likely something wrong with your AC. If you ignore it, it could lead to major—and expensive—troubles eventually. We’re going to help you understand what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling generally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. A technician can help verify where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can cause noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be caused by a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A clear noise from your external unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about prevalent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without looking at your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s an issue with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s better to get problems fixed right away. Getting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Find a Good HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more essential than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility costs and overall home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading
Yearly HVAC Maintenance List
Once the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to prepare your home for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you crave while using less energy. Routine inspections also make your system... Continue reading
HVAC Trends: What’s New in 2024
In the ever-evolving world of home heating and cooling, keeping up with the newest HVAC trends is very important for homeowners who want to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing brand-new technologies and trends aimed at... Continue reading