Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your house, being comfortable in your new room no matter the weather is important. However, they can create a unique challenge for contentment. This is due to the fact installing ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, because it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most cost-effective possibilities is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Learn more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a good option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, as they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your space more comfortable. In actuality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and lower your utility bills for years to come.
Another exclusive feature is zoned heating and cooling. Since each room typically has a dedicated indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is particularly useful if you have a area with special temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are a couple reasons why it’s better than extending ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the precise cost will depend on your unique situation, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system might become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your residence prior to the addition. This could stress your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort might be impacted. Because your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system has to manage a wider location. Your heating and cooling might be less efficient, and your electricity and gas costs might increase as a result of the system needing to operate more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like regular systems, mini-splits are offered in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Comfort Masters Service Experts, we’ll help you get the correct size for your new space. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can result in huge energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or longer when routinely serviced. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Comfort Masters Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you select the right model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Comfort Masters Service Experts can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can help. Contact us at 847-250-6729 now to request a free consultation and estimate.