How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a lot of gases that could be inside your Wheeling house. Natural gas and vapors that derive from residential fixtures, flooring and paints. None of these fumes are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Call Comfort Masters Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 847-250-6729 right away to get started protecting your home against this toxic gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Deadly?

Carbon monoxide might be a major concern, so it’s not a thing to take lightly.

1. You Can’t See It

Carbon monoxide is dangerous because you can’t see it, sense it with your nose or recognize it with your taste buds. It’s not as dangerous in low amounts and can’t be filtrated.

2. It Can Be Fatal Within Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of used fuel. It can leak into your home during the winter if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. Depending on how large the leak is and the ventilation in a house, it may become fatal in just a few minutes.

Once taken in, the gas has a half-life of approximately five hours. If you are taking in fresh air, you will need five hours to get it out of your body. It will take an additional five hours to cut that concentration by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Resemble Other Illnesses

The gas may also cause symptoms that can be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

How to Protect Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no justification to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are three steps you can do to keep your residence safe:

  1. Every home with at least one natural gas appliance, connected garage or fireplace needs to have a carbon monoxide alarm. You should have an alarm on all levels of your home, on top of the basement and garage. You also need to install one inside or outside of all bedrooms. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide alarm in your residence?
    Call Comfort Masters Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 847-250-6729 to get one. Ask our pros about our economical Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors.
  2. If you presently have a carbon monoxide system, frequently look at or replace the batteries. You should check batteries every 90 days, and replace the alarm every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide sensor sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.

Protect Your Family with Help from Comfort Masters Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary, and with the right precautions your house can be protected from the toxic gas. Take the precautions and call Comfort Masters Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 847-250-6729 to learn more.


Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.