Winter months in Wheeling are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace can release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to prevent it from taking place.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be quite harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to give off carbon monoxide if the system is not running as it should be or if it wasn’t installed the right way.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any potential concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Ensure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that could compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its best efficiency, helping offer peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Comfort Masters Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 847-250-6729 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.